View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
MorkieMomma
Inactive Account

Unlove Any help on combating heart PACs??

Hi,

According to my cardiologist, a very large number of people have some sort of heart palpitation issue. With some people it is serious, but more often than not, it is benign and poses no health risk.

Well...I'm fed up to be honest. These stupid things they're calling "PAC"s keep me up at night (like now), causing me to be unable to get any sleep. They're also affecting Brussels' sleep (our Brussels Griffon mix), because he won't sleep at all when I'm having these, and they can sometimes go off and on for a few hours. It's frustrating, but most of all it's annoying. It's like an alarm clock that has no 'off' button.

I have had:

Holter monitor
Clip-on monitor at home for several weeks
Several stress tests
Several stress tests w/ultrasound combined
ECGs out the wazoo

As per three cardiologists mine are completely benign and my heart appears to be healthy.

Fine...so a heart that all of a sudden starts skipping beats and then feels like it's throwing itself into my throat and lasts for hours is benign..mhmm.

I'm willing to accept the fact that I will always have this "condition". My mother, who is 63, said she's had them since her mid-30s and her heart is healthy, and both of my grandparents on her side had them.

Is there anything I can do about it except to just sit around and be annoyed, exhausted and irritable until it goes away? I don't like feeling like this and it's really affecting my mood as well. To anyone else who has these on a regular basis, I'm sure you know what I mean. It is like an itch you'll never be able to scratch....and it's VERY frightening when it happens. There's no pain, but there's an obvious 'starting/stopping/skipping' of your heart, and then it lurches back into action and it's felt in your throat; making it impossible to fall asleep.

Any experienced input would be SO appreciated, as this is driving me nuts, and causing me to be cranky and irritable, which isn't like me at all. The doctor did say that the sooner I learn to accept it, the less it will happen, as me getting irritated and angry about it will only make it stronger, as then anxiety is thrown into the mix and makes it worse. How can I not be anxious when my heart keeps lurching up my throat?

Additionally, Brussels won't sleep during this, and he's a senior dog who needs his rest. He worries and stays awake when he should be asleep. Any information or suggestions on getting him to sleep when I'm going through these PACs would also be appreciated.

We're moving in 2 weeks. Well, a week and a half. We're going to be very busy packing, unpacking, loading, moving, etc...and I'll need more energy. I have no energy with no sleep. My GP prescribed Ambien (a sleeping aid)...that doesn't help. It does what it's supposed to do and makes me extremely tired, but the PACs are so strong that they keep me awake anyway, so I stopped taking it.

*Cardiologist will not put me on a beta-blocker after review of my holter and clip-on (forget what that thing is called but it looks like a pager)*

Last edited by MorkieMomma; 01-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
MorkieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!