Thread: Maggi's cough
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggi belluz View Post
We've been trying to research congenital heart diseas after our vet's diagnosis. Are story is like many others I've read. We first started noticing the cough on the drive home from picking her up. After two rounds of antibiotics she still wasn't better. The vet suggested an x-ray and discovered she had an enlarged heart. We've tried one heart medication so far but no response. The coughing at night is unbearable. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and find her gone.
We have her booked for an ultra sound by the suggestion of our vet but I noticed when I was reading the other stories no one else seemed to have been give the same advice.
Does anyone have any comments or advice?
Maggie University of Guelph has a specialty teaching hospital and it is very close to you. I'd have my vet refer me there.
A cardiogram is the best diagnostic tool - I went through one for my Maine Coone Cat just last fall. It is really gentle on them too. I believe I paid $500 for it. It was really neat to see the heart at work.

Enlarged heart in one so young is most often considered genetic. Your breeder definitely needs to know about this condition. Also your breeder hopefully gave you a good health guaranty and it should cover this genetic condition.

There are different heart med's, so it is best to have a cardiologist monitor and prescribe for your girl.

I'm so very sorry she has this condition. Hugs to you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!