View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Welcome to YT! Glad you found us.

I would be very concerned about the head tilt and falling over. I would seek a second opinion from another vet. The best thing to do is ask your current vet for a referral to a board certified neurologist. There could be something seriously wrong with her spine and she could become much worse very quickly. It could also be something as simple as an ear infection and LP, but I'd rather be sure it wasn't something serious immediately then wait it out on the antibiotics for 2 weeks.

Baytril is a very strong antibiotic and can cause stomach upset. Make sure you give it with food and not on an empty stomach.

Did your vet do a swab of the ear to see if it was infected? Was he very concerned about the head tilt? Did he do any x-rays or range of motion on her neck and rear legs?

I would also recommend not letting her jump on or off of something because she is so tiny. These guys can break bones very easily. There have been many threads on YT about this very thing. The dog usually has to have surgery and be in a cast for at least 2 months, and be on strict crate rest 24/7. Its not fun.

I have stairs that I got at petco for my couch and my bed. I also had my father build a ramp out of ply wood and then stapled a towel to it for traction. Worked very well for the dog but I eventually got rid of it after running in to it one too many times during the night. plastic stairs are much more forgiving.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!