View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
My Ladybug
Senior Yorkie Talker

Love What's Your Story?

Do You have a great story to tell of how you first became a Yorkie owner? Well I'm not sure if mine is great but I would like to share it. I went through some ups and downs and learned alot along the way. My 2 daughters wanted to get a yorkie for a while but we had heard they were not good pets for small children. They were 5 & 7 at the time. My sister in-law has a yorkie that she bought for her terminally ill teenage daughter. We would dog sit for her at times and my daughters were actually really good with her. She's around 7-8 lbs and a very calm dog. Sadly my sweet neice passed away and at one point my sis in law asked if we wanted keep the dog but at the time my husband said no.

As my mother started getting closer to retirement age she began to get lonely living alone and she started to consider getting a yorkie to be her companion. That was exciting for me and my girls because we would have another yorkie in the family! Sadly though my mom grew ill and within 2 months of her being diagnosed with cancer, she died. She was my very best friend and a part of me died when I lost her. I suddenly had an extreme urgency to find a yorkie that I could love just like my mother wanted to do.

I searched for breeders in my area but $2000-$3200 was way out of my budget. I looked on craigslist, puppyfind, ebay classifieds, you name I was searching. I read all I could about the breed so I would know what to expect when I finally did find one. I spoke with several breeders and the ones that I really liked although their price was too high all wanted us to come to their home and meet us and our girls and for us to interact with the pups. Well I found one "breeder" close in my area that had just sold her last pup but she would keep my number for when she had another litter by her other female. Meanwhile, I kept looking, but there was always something that just didn't work out. I found a woman in MO who was willing to take monthly payments and would ship the puppy to me here in California, but something just didn't sit well with me. So I researched her and read about half a dozen horror stories from people who bought pups from her. (That was my first time learning of puppy mills)

Fast forward to May 2011. The "breeder" who kept my number called me to say her female was due In June and that I could have the pick of the litter. I read NO horror stories about her so I was glad!! We went to her home and met her and her mother and the beautiful dogs including 1 of the pups from the last litter that she kept. She had the papers for her female and her mothers male out on the table for us to look over. They were the nicest people! $799 for males & $899 for females was the price. I gave a small deposit since the litter wasn't born yet. I signed a contract and couldn't have been any happier!! The next month I emailed her and she didn't respond. I called and her number was changed, went to her home and while the dogs barked and barked no one would answer I was angry, sad, embarrassed. I decided to give up on finding a dog for a while.

Then 1 month later my husband came home to tell me his sister's yorkie just gave birth to 6 babies! I think I might have shed a tear or two. I was going to get a yorkie from my sweet neice's yorkie. It felt just perfect because it was family. I didn't know anything about back yard breeders either at that time, but that is what my little Ladybug is a prodcut of. That's also why her tail isn't docked. Although my sis in law said she wouldn't breed again because it is entirely too much work going back and forth to the vet, deworming, and immunizations I am so very glad that I got my Ladybug. I feel as though my long wait and the ups and downs trying to find the right yorkie was for a reason. My girsl are now 8 & 10 and I have the perfect yorkie......My Ladybug
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!