View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Ruger357
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New here, yet another potty question.....

Hello all, I have read dozens of the potty training posts here and my head is spinning. If anyone can advise me what I am doing wrong please do.

I adopted a male yorkie from a puppy mill rescue group 3 months ago. The vet who neutered him, gave shots, etc. estimated he was approx 2 years old. Of course, I can only imagine how horrid his life was, so I am trying to be patient with him, but he is not getting the housebreaking thing.

When I am not home I keep him in a crate. He normally will not go in the crate, but will lift his leg to go out the side. Not sure how to stop this so I have it surrounded with newspaper. At night he sleeps on my bed and is good throughout the night with no accidents.

First thing in the morning I take him to the puppy pad that I keep in the bathroom and shut the door until he goes. I make sure to praise him for going. As soon as I let him out of the crate when I come we go to the pad also but when I'm home with him he will just pee little spots wherever he pleases. Also will not poop on the pad, is very sneaky about that. He will not go outdoors at all. He seems terrified when I take him outside for any reason. Maybe his past....

Please help. I know he's been through a lot and I want to do the right thing with him.
Ruger357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!