View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I just posted this in another thread about potty training.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Definitely do not expect a 10 week old to be potty trained. Shoot, even at 4 years old my Hot Rod will find a spot to poop. I've just recently gone back to "crate training 101" as I gated off the front part of the house.

I kept my 2 on pads and go outdoors with them. Maggie is wonderful with the pads while Hot Rod will pee on it all day long but prefers to go outside for poo. He more prefers to go outside for that. We also have pads in hubbys garage so on rainy and snow days, they can still "go outside".

You will need to have patience, patience and more patience. He's still telling you when he has to go, your just not picking up on the signs. Tethering him to you is good but if you don't see the signs, it won't really help.

The second you even suspect he's got the urge, onto the pad (if you choose to use) he goes and make up a command that you use only for this purpose and once he's in the act, do you say it. Praise him a lot and treat if you wish. This command should only be used when he's in the act so he can associate it and once he does learn it, you can use it so he will know what to expect. Good luck and it will come, just have patience."

Please do not punish him for something that he's not been training properly. Just because you know what the pads/mats are for doesn't mean he does. Best of luck.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!