View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina21 View Post
Hi and welcome to YT! You will love YT as the people here are amazing and they are always more than happy to help

I am not sure how much research you have done on Yorkies so I will try to give you some of the info that I found most helpful.

First of all as others have said make sure that you get your little one from a reputable breeder. My DD and I drove out to Toronto to meet the breeder and to meet the pups and mom and dad. I was very impressed to have been interviewed by the breeder. She asked a great deal of questions to ensure that Chloe was going to a good home. It was clear that she really loved her dogs. Chloe also came with a health guarantee that covered her for one year. We were also given time to take Chloe to our vet to have her examined, if there were any issues she would have taken Chloe back.

As for bringing home your little furbaby there are some special considerations with Yorkies. They can become hypoglycemic which means that their blood sugar can drop. It is caused by stress, missing a meal or in Chloes case playing too hard This started to happen with Chloe once but as I knew what to look for I was able to give her some nutri-cal immediately and she was fine.

Yorkies being such small pups need frequent meals of high quality food. Royal Canin makes breed specific food and that is what Chloe was given by her breeder. As is recommended I continued to give Chloe the same food that she had been fed prior to coming home with us. I would suggest that you ask your breeder which food to buy.

Yorkies can be hurt very easily so it is also important to not put your little one on the sofa or any high surface unless you are with them. Believe it or not a fall from a sofa can be fatal to a little pup. You mentioned that you have kids and I would make sure that you talk to them about how fragile the puppy will be. I have heard that some Yorkies arent crazy about kids but my Chloe LOVES kids. I mean she is CRAZY about them LOL. It is SO cute seeing a little 5 pound dog standing up to lick the face of a toddler I have only once needed to intervene when it came to kids and Chloe and that was simply because one little girl was so taken with her that she wanted to take her upstairs. I never allow young children to play with her unsupervised.

House breaking with a Yorkie can be quite challenging. It took almost a year to house train Chloe and that was with me being very determined! Gratefully little dogs make little messes I suggest making sure that you keep a supply of urine scent remover. There are a number of sprays available.

Yorkies need a great deal of grooming as well. There are different types of hair as well as different colors of coats. Chloe has cottony hair which is very fine and matts very easily. She needs to be brushed daily. Something that I didnt know prior to bringing her home was about dental care. Yorkies have very tiny, tightly spaced teeth and it is very common for them to need to have baby teeth removed as some may not fall out. Also they are prone to decay and need to have their teeth brushed on a regular basis (I brush Chloes every night before bed). I use an enzyme paste that works very well. I also didnt know that rawhide is a big no-no for yorkies. It gets stuck between their teeth and can require a vet to clean it out for them I learned that one the hard way.

Well thats about all that I can think of off the top of my head. I hope that I havent scared you off LOL. Yorkies may need more care than some of the other breeds but they more than repay that care in love and joy. I cant imagine my life without Chloe in it. She has been a huge source of happiness. I am sure that you too will discover that yorkies have a way of stealing your heart.

I wish you all the best with you search for your new family member and if you have any more questions dont hesitate to post them. And when you bring your little one home I hope that you will let us all know and post some pics for us to ooh and aww over

Take care and again
Tina
great post just want to ad that rawhide is also bad because it swells when it gets wet so it will swell inside the body and can cause a blockage.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!