View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
YorkieMiki
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Normal Puppy? - or separation anxiety? Cries when alone.

I've had my puppy for only 12 days. He's a 2.5 lb, 13 week Yorkie mix. I'm having issues with him crying, whining, whimpering and sometimes letting out yaps when I leave him alone...even for a couple minutes or to go to the bathroom.

When I'm with him he's pretty good, he'll chew things, run around, play etc. and he's very quiet. I take him around a lot in a portable crate/carrier during the day and he doesn't make a peep.

So he's with me most of the day. In the 12 days I've had him the longest he was alone was for a 2 hour period and a 3 hour period of time.

I have managed to get him to be OK in his crate/carrier at night sleeping next to my bed.

Things that I've tried:
-stuffing kongs -sometimes won't touch until I am close
-bully sticks (he loves these but will often not eat them until I am back in the room watching him or with him)
-walking in and out of the room to desensitize him
-he whines & cries in his crate/carrier but I think less so than in his pen. I've fed him treats in the carrier a lot, and take him around in it alot during the day
-leaving him gated in bathroom about 12 feet from where I do work (he will whine during this time, but sometimes won't)
-leaving him in his play pen with toys, bed, pee pads, food water (this he's become more accustomed to and he will be ok in it, but often will whine/wimper even if i' 4 feet away)
-if i go to the bathroom sometimes he whines as he sees me walk away or close the door
-if i just go into the kitchen he whimpers
-i try to ignore him if he whines/cries, is this the right thing to do?
-i try to give him some attention if he stops whining for a moment
-when i did leave him for 1-3 hours only a couple times, I left the radio on, left him in a play pen with toys, pee pads, etc. tons of chews, kong etc
-WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO I'm going nuts!??

Things I might try:
-thunder shirt? I don't know if there is one big enough for him because he's only 2.5 lbs now and will probably be 5 lbs
-DAP diffuser? i ordered one but don';t know

What's the longest you can be apart from one of these guys? I have a flexible work schedule, and often work from home, but there will be times when I can't take him places etc.

I just feel so bad when he's crying and it's pretty loud/ makes me feel awful...is there any methods you recommend for this? Also, will he grow out of it?

As a puppy, should I just try to keep him with me or with a friend at all times? Am I doing the right thing trying to train him to be alright by himself? Should I just try to leave him alone for longer periods and he will get "used to it?"

I'm not sure whether this is normal or not?
YorkieMiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!