View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

R.I.P., Janie.

I have to share the story about how Janie and I became acquainted here on YT. I didn't know who she was, really, but every day there would be a profile page message from her with an inspirational picture or piece of artwork.

The first couple times, I replied with a simple "Thanks" or whatnot. But they kept coming! Day after day, week after week, there would be a profile page note from this woman I didn't really know. Was she a stalker? :O To be honest, it got a little aggravating. Each day, I'd have to open my profile page and view the picture so it didn't keep showing up in my new messages alert.

But they were nice and inspirational messages, pictures designed to warm your heart -- a fawn in the snow, a bird at a feeder, an angel... I tried ignoring her, but I just couldn't do it. Here's this woman taking the time to message me daily. How could I be so mean as to ignore her? So at least weekly, maybe twice a week, I'd reply to her with a "Thanks." Eventually, we started sending more substantive messages. I discovered she had an Alaska connection. I learned about her adorable dogs.

It got to the point where I looked forward to her notes and replied to every single one. Occasionally, there wouldn't be a note from her -- and I'd panic! What happened to my note?! I'd gotten used to them!

I met Janie at the meetup in Alexandria, Va., several years ago. I still wasn't entirely sure she wasn't a stalker , but I found her to be the genuine article. She was the embodiment of all the kind, inspirational pictures she'd been sending to my profile page ever day -- one of those people who you meet and instantly trust and feel comfortable with.

Sadly, some of the drama on YT drove Janie away from YT, and my contact with her diminished. We were Facebook friends, but as her illness got worse it was hard communicating with her. I'd leave her a note from time to time to say I was thinking about her, but she was in too much pain to respond. I hope she got them. I hope she knew how much she meant to me.

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 01-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!