View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
MorkieMomma
Inactive Account

Default Need help with the come and leave it commands please.

Hi all,

Bella has mastered sit, stay, and lay down. I'm happy about that, but I am really struggling with the 'come' and 'leave it' commands...which are the two most important ones, and she isn't getting either one.

I'm extremely patient with her, so I know she's not feeding anything off of me, but I think maybe I'm not using a strong enough tone? I have no idea. She thinks I'm playing with her when I say leave it. I say leave it and she drops it...runs around the livingroom growling (playing)...runs back to it and picks it up again. I say leave it, she drops it..but then runs around and grabs it again. =/ It's actually very funny to watch and unfortunately I DO laugh (I'm trying very hard not to). What are some tricks I can use to teach her to leave it and LEAVE it, instead of it leaving it and coming back for it like a Boomerang?

Coming she hates. I've googled, and I've tried a bunch of different things, but she doesn't understand any of them. It's not her...she's a VERY bright puppy. Maybe I'm confusing her with trying different things instead of just one?

I'd like to have the peace of mind knowing that if something were to happen, I can say "come" and she'll stop whatever she's doing and come to me.

She loves racing to me and waiting for me to pick her up...that's not a problem when she's doing it on her own, she does it all the time. But..I can't seem to figure out a way to get her to stop and come to me regardless of what she's doing.

Right now we're working on "sit pretty" and she's already done it a few times, so I think she'll learn that one easily too.

It's the important ones that she's not getting, and those are the two I'm really wanting her to learn.

Thanks!
MorkieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!