View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
MorkieMomma
Inactive Account

Default Spaying Issues/Questions (Long)

Hi,

As I've stated several times, I fully trust our vet. However, I do have some concerns.

I've seen many people here getting their females spayed at 3.5 months, 3 months, etc.

My vet says he refuses to spay her until she is at least 4 months old and 3 pounds...and even then he would be doing it against his "better judgment".

He wants us to wait until she is 6 months, because he said Yorkies generally don't go into their first heat until their 8th month or later (she's a yorkie mix, not pure), and he wants to pull any baby teeth that might be stubborn at the same time. He doesn't want to anesthetize her twice for no reason. He said every time a dog, especially a toy breed, is anesthetized it is a bigger risk than people think, regardless of their reaction to it other times. He added that pulling stubborn baby teeth is important for future oral health....which I understand.

We do have a male dog in the house, but he is 11.5 years old and has been neutered for many many years now; he poses no threat. We don't take Bella outside because it's cold. She's not involved in any puppy classes with other puppies because I don't WANT her to be in any classes until she's had all of her shots including rabies, which will come at 6 months of age.

To make a long story short, Bella really has zero chances of being impregnated. =/ So...should we wait until she's 6 months to spay her, as the vet has recommended?

Lastly...we might be getting a Yorkie. He's not neutered and is a year old. We'd be taking him directly to our vet to be neutered the day we get him, and depending on time frame, he may stay the night there and be neutered the next morning. Either way, he wouldn't be in our house until he was neutered, so he's not a threat either.

...opinions?

Last edited by MorkieMomma; 12-31-2011 at 07:14 PM.
MorkieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!