View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiNumber_H View Post
He was separated from mom at 8 1/2 weeks, she was injured, he was with his litter mate for another 2 weeks, his brother didn't have any teeth, Bubba had a mouthful. I got him at at 10 weeks, and yes I agree, so much is taught by the mother, unfortunately, this wasn't the case. I got to see Bubba with his mom and she wouldn't let them near, pain, discomfort from stitches I suppose. Bubba bit me from the day I brought him home.

I have had puppies in the past, and clearly know the difference between exploratory bites/teething and aggressive behavior. I don't recommend anyone try this unless they have been properly shown how and are familiar with the technique. There is such a fine line, he struggles I hold, he relaxes I relax, he cannot try to engage me with eye contact and he has to surrender, mind you all the while I remain calm and collected. The instant that he does surrender/submit, he is released and avoided. You are correct in that, it is a last resort. When he attacked on 12/24, that was it. I was being gentle, calm and he growled and bit, and he needed to be put in his place. I understand that not everyone will agree with my methods and that is fine. I will always get my dogs to submit and obey, I have a son, young nieces and nephews over all the time, I would never risk not having absolute control over my animals no matter how small they may be. As stated before, he has not bitten since.

Your reply, I'm certain is appreciated as a variant position for members of the yorkie talk forum.
I understand what your saying, but I guess my problem is that others might read this and think, "Hmmm my little puppy is nibbling/biting, I think I'll try that." I'm telling THOSE people to read kjc reply and understand that this might have serious side effects later down the road.

Join today and remove this ad!