View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
sbgooljar
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxylove11 View Post
Yesterday, we visited a relative (who also has a yorkie - same age 10 months) and we brought Roxy. They played together all day non-stop. I ended up having to put them in their cages for mandatory breaks. They were outside with their sweaters on (37 degrees out in NY), running around & jumping on eachother. In the house they were jumping on eachother, running around and playing tug of war. Both of them were panting and drinking lots of water. My Roxy has been on a special diet due to having a liver shunt, but yesterday, she ate all of the other dogs food at dinner time - it was Pedigree Small Breed(Roxy didnt touch hers). On the way home (about 45 mins drive), Roxy slept the entire way. When we got home she slept again until I brought her upstairs around 11:30pm (she can't get up or down the stairs yet). She slept until 11:30am today. I fed her as soon as we went downstairs, but she barely ate. She played for a little bit (maybe 30 - 45 mins all day) and took naps. She eventually ate the rest of her food around 4:30pm ( I left it out). She barely played today and mostly just relaxed and took a lot of naps. When I put her dinner out (around 7pm) she barely touched that. She has been going to the bathroom normal, her gums are pink and she gets excited to see me. I gave her some dog cookies today as well (just to make sure she had something in her stomach). --- Sorry I know this is a lot of details, my question is should I be worried about her? This is my first yorkie puppy and I'm a very anxious puppy owner. Could it be that from playing with the other puppy all day yesterday just wore her out & she needed the day to recover?
Hi, not to scare you but I would get Roxy to the vet today (it's a holiday weekend and hours are probably limited).

Yesterday Romeo slept well past 1 pm. At first I thought oh well, he's tired and it's a bit cold so let him sleep. Not long after I took several pictures of him snuggled down he woke up and threw up, and then flopped right back in his bed. Didn't take me but 2 minutes to contact the vet with him symptoms and then rush him over.

So glad I went to the vet and did not wait. Romeo's temp was slightly elevated so I requested complete blood work. Everything came back normal EXCEPT he was extremely dehydrated (and this boy drinks a LOT of water)! The vet administered fluids and sent us home with instructions to add Gatorade or Pedialyte to his water (5 % to 95%). I also boiled some chicken and rice and was happy that he cleaned his dinner plate.

I'm leaving home in 30 minutes so that he can get some more fluids today and on Tuesday we go back to repeat blood work. I want to ensure it was just dehydration and nothing else.

Romeo and Sujata
sbgooljar is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!