Thread: Run-away pup
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

I trained my boys to sit when the door opened and I thought they were 100% trained. Unfortunately, the other human in the house was poorly trained and did not give the boys the sit command before opening the door.

My younger Yorkie sailed out the door and down the street chasing the UPS truck. Thankfully, I happened to be pulling up to the house at the same time and was able to call him to me.

After nearly losing my Teddy and reading the many sad stories here of Yorkies hit by cars, I installed baby gates to keep my boys away from the doors to the outside. Physical barriers are the only 100% effective way to prevent the dogs from getting out.

Shock collars can be ineffective in many ways. Dogs are often smart enough to know that the shock lasts only a second when crossing a line. They get outside the perimeter of the invisible fence and are at risk, and they don't want to come back into the yard.

Secondly, invisible fences and shock collars do not prevent predators from entering your yard and harming your dog. A chihuahua in my town was mauled and killed by 2 large dogs while the chi was in his front yard wearing a shock collar.

Shock collars rely on batteries and owners sometimes forget to test and replace them.

Lastly, I agree with Victoria Stilwell that they are a health hazard. Some studies have shown that the shock has a detrimental effect on the heart and nervous system.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!