View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
You say the previous owner did nothing with the puppy. He probably learned that peeing and pooing in the crate was all that he could do. If he was locked in a small crate as a puppy he did not have the ability to hold his urine or poo at that age so he went in the crate and now he thinks that is how it is. Despite what people tell you a young puppy will soil a crate because they do not have the control an older dog has.
I would get him an X Pen and put down pee pads on one side and his bed and dishes on the other. He needs a new start. His mind is set on how to treat the crate. Training him to use the pee pads and keep his area clean in an X Pen would be much kinder than shutting him in a crate for hours at a time.
I agree, some dogs don't do well with crate training (usually rescues) cause they are used to soiling the beds in their crate. They don't know what it's like to have a clean environment. I'd start with an xpen first with a blanket and wee pads, then once he goes without peeing on the blankets start adding a crate. I would also consider some of that spray that you use to make his wee pad smell extra like a potty. I know potty pads are scented but it couldn't hurt to make it smell more like one. or take a wee pad and dip it in one of his accidents so it smells like him. Also if you see him peeing on the wee pad, throw a praise party and give lots of treats, it'll help him realize that's the right place to go.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!