View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Congratulations on your new puppy. You will get lots of different answers here but I'm sure everyone has their own views on what works bet for their pups. With hair missing behind the ear I would suspect it is from scratching. Could be dry skin or it could be allergy to food or maybe the pup had fleas before you got him. There is a lot to read on diet in the health and diet area. I tend to go for as close to nature intended for my animals so I use mostly all natural products. Have been using this for shampoo and conditioner with great results:
Yorkie Splash and Yorkie Shine | Yorkie Shampoo and Yorkie Conditioner
Does not hurt the eyes and leaves the coat clean and smelling great for days at a time. Try to avoid getting water in the ears when bathing and swab them out after your done with a cotton swab just to make sure they are dry. Don't go deep into the ear canal. Using a good conditioner on the coat may help with the itching. Go through the coat with a flea comb just to make sure you have no sneaky pests lurking in there. You can't always see them but a flea comb will detect them easily.
Yorkies are terriers and can sometimes have a more excitable nature. If biting is an issue try not to get the little one all excited as this just makes matters worse. I know it's hard not to play tug or play chase with a puppy but you don't want to entice him to bite either. I had to try to keep my little barracuda quite calm as a puppy because she loved to use those razor sharp little teeth to play with. It's really important that they learn from an early age that mouthing and biting is a NO NO! It's usually easier for them to learn this from the mom and litter mates but that is not possible with your little guy since he had to leave them too early. If he starts to gnaw on your fingers or hand tell him NO and stick a stuffed toy or chew toy in his mouth to show him what IS acceptable to chew on.

Best wishes on your new baby. Yes, it is a lot like raising a baby except your potty training should be completed much sooner than a human baby!
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!