View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Steven_Drama
Yorkie Yakker

Default I am New to Yorkies, & YT. Hello!

hi guys, been browsing around these forums for a few weeks & decided what better time to start contributing.

I just recently took home my first little yorkie puppie, and she has been nothing short of an absolute pleasure. We took her home at the early age of only 8.5-9 Weeks old. I had heard that that was too early, but we had no choice.

She is now about 11 weeks old,
and has only been to the vet once so far. (Next appointment is January 7th)
She got weighed in at 1.5 pounds, and got a shot (she squealed and cried but got over it quick)

She has yet to receive her first bath, as I am nervous of her face and ears. The vet didn't inform us of any allergies, but I am a bit suspicious because I heard small Yorkies are known for having certain irritations and allergies. (she's been rinsed/washed wi water, but not with soap or shampoo yet)

Which brings me to my first question; What's a good shampoo or washing soap hat I could use that would be delicate enough for her sensitive skin and coat? And what is the best technique for a 2 pound young pup to endure? I hate to see her shiver, but I know it's gonna happen.

Also, I noticed a bit of a bald area spot on the top of her head. It's nothing to major, but it almost looks like it could be the way her hair is parting/ different angles. I know she scratches and it he's a lot and I have been on the lookout for any irritations or stabbing but luckily have not seen any on her. Also little baldness near her ears, right behind but no markings.

She is young and full of energy. She likes to prance back and forth and be fed her hard dry chow food via me rolling it on the floor or in the palm of my hand. She is getting better at eating it from the bowl, and water was tough at first but she drinks it sometimes while eating. I always have it out for her if she wants it, like I was told to do so.

When she plays she gets a little aggressive and bites a lot. I don't scold her other then simply saying NO! and changing my voice tone. Sometimes I fake-cry to show her she can hurt me sometimes lol. The biting I hope is a phase and justly full, but I'd like to nip that in the bud so she can be a sociable adult.

I realize I'm all over the place in this post so I'll try to wrap it up. As you can tell, I am a new & first time parent, and I am enjoying it so far. I assume this is similar, to an extent of what it's like to have and raise a child haha. In other words she's a lot of work, but I love it. Me and my girlfriend provide lots of love to her and believe she is comfortable and loves us too (hopefully!)

I welcome any comments, suggestions or anything anyone has to contribute to me and my newfound parent hood. I look forward to interacting with the users here and networking some great information for the sake of our gorgeous little pups!

Thanks guys! And I will update this thread with some photos of little Gia when I am at my computer later!

have a great day and great new year!:anima l36
Steven_Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!