View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Smokey2011
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Note2

I am getting a bit confused.. I bought a few dental bones.. samples.. for him to try. He hated Greenies and I dont care for them myself. I am looking at a product from Zukes.com- a Z bone.. ingredients include Alfalfa concentrate, clove, parsley, fennel and rosemary to name a few. I've made my own dog biscuits from recipies on dog sites.. some with peanut butter.. some with parsley, garlic powder, cinnamon, etc. I see a recipe for doggie gingerbread men with all the usual ingredients- including real or powdered ginger and carob bits for the eyes and buttons. I've read on this site where peeps give them craisins for snack.

I am a fairly well-educated, pet savvy, cautious individual. I do almost all of my own cooking from scratch. I would cut my own throat if anything happened to Smokey on my watch and could have been prevented by me. Now I am reading (true or false, doesnt matter) about a Yorkie who possibly died from poisoning due to raisins or whatever the F the dog purportedly ingested. (I wouldnt feed raisins, so no probs there).

I certainly could limit him to a very strict diet with little variation just to be on the safe side, but do I really need to do that? In addition to this, dont let him jump because he could break a leg, no going down stairs (he doesnt know how and Im not about to teach him), no going outside without a coat- it was 10 degrees F here this morning (we only walk about three houses down and back and we dont go out in the freezing rain), no being left alone, even for a minute... Our place is pretty Yorkie proof and I dont take him to the bathroom with me. I do however, put him on my bed when I shower and he lies there quietly. Hasnt tried to jump off as of yet. He sleeps in his crate by the side of the bed.

My experience is with dogs 10x his size. I want to do the right thing. I certainly do not want to put Smokey in any kind of danger and I certainly am nobody's fool. He looks to me like a tough little guy. Where do I draw the line on keeping him safe without driving him and us crazy with all of this?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!