View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Charmed777
Yorkie Yakker

Default Socializing Two Grown Females

We have two female dogs who have been kept in separate households up until now. We got our beloved Delilah 3 years ago from a breeder on this very board and we love her SO much! She's a very timid, sweet=-tempered playful girl. She lives in WV with my daughter who spoils her rotten as do we all.

We rescued Roxie back in April. She is also a sweet, timid little girl and she just turned 5. We believe she's been abused in the past because it took her a while to trust us and she still has times when she seems to think someone is going to hit her (if you throw a toy for her for example) and it not only breaks my heart but makes me want to find who did it!!! Anyway, she's a spoiled little lap puppy who steals the heart of everyone she meets.

It was inevitable that the 2 would eventually be in the same house, and it's happened. Their first meetings we did in neutral territory (my fiance's mom's house) and there was some growling and honestly because it was not our house we kept them separated for the most part or closely watched.

Now that they are both here at our home in SC since yesterday, there have been two fights. We separated them right away and there have been other minor issues that are obviously jealousy, particularly when myself or my daughter is showing the other dog affection. We really had visions of them being BFFs and of course we are worried to death about one of them being hurt.

As far as size goes, they are similar in weight but Roxie is taller. She formerly lived with 2 other Yorkies so we know she's socialized and her former owners said that she got along well with other dogs. DeDe has never really been around other animals.

Any ideas what we can do to help them to get along? I searched the boards but could not really find an answer to help us. We sure appreciate it! We love both our girls and they will definitely be together frequently from here on out and may even both live here in the near future.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!