View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I imagine it is very traumatic for Andy. Although he may appear to be adapting well I'm sure his little world is upside down right now. It's quite a process to change a dog's potty habits when it is in it's own home but poor Andy is trying to learn new people, new house and new rules all at once. It sounds like you have got a good little guy there that is just confused and trying to adapt to his new world right now. It can take any where from two months to quite a bit more for a dog to accept and realize that this is his new home and new people.

He may be a bit obsessed about hanging out with you because for some reason he finds you to be a source of comfort and security. It may be once he is fully adjusted he will not need you quite so much though it certainly sounds like you have a friend for life! My previous dog also loved the bathroom waste basket. We had to keep it under the vanity behind closed doors for quite a while. For him it was one of those temptations that he could not resist when we were not home. He loved tissues and cotton swabs! Sounds yucky to us but to some dogs it's like an open treat bag! Double yuck!

Thank you for adopting this little guy and giving him a loving home. I hope you and your family have many enjoyable years ahead with your new friend, Andy.

Oh, by the way some dogs feel very insecure when they are going poo. That may be why Andy has found a quiet place away from everyone to go. Another thing that should resolve as he feels more secure. Just praise him real well when he does go poo outside. Some dogs are more likely to go poo after running so taking him out for a good brisk walk or a run may help to get him to go potty outside when you want him to. Of course timing is everything but once you get him on a schedule things should go more smoothly.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!