View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
zedhead
No Longer a Member

Default Newbie saying Hi!

Hi,
I've been lurking around for about a week trying to get up to speed on the site. I must commend everyone here. This is a great site, nice people, and full of valuble information.

Anyways, A little Bio:

Hi, I'm Rob I live in Duluth, Mn. with My family. Wife, 3 Kids: 14 Yo Daughter, 11 YO Son, and 2 YO Yorkie.

We adopted a Yorkie (Bradley) 13 years ago, at the age of 2. Sadly, We lost Brad in July. After 6 Mo's We started looking for another Yorkie. And We found Handsome Andy in a shelter about 90 miles from here. We've had Him for about a week now, and love the dickens out of Him already.

We have a few issues to deal with. Any advice/tips would be great.

We live in the country on a 5 acre lake lot (low traffic, dead end road). Andy LOVES to be outside. I don't think He's spent much time outside. So, with the winter season, and His inexperiance, We limit Him to 5 mins or less. He's met the neighbors Chesapeak, and shows no fear. Could be good/bad?

Seems Andy's previous parents had Him wear a belly band, and used pads. We're in the process of training to go outside. It seems to be going fairly well, except for #2. He's found a spot in our Sons room that He prefers better than outside. A little scolding, and taking Him outside is the process we're on now. Hopefully we can make some progress on this one. I'd love to move on to praise. But He's not making much progress yet.

He seems to like the bathroom garbage can. Anything in there, seems to end up in the living room. I think we're making some progress on this one.

I'm a little conserned about His diet. THe adoption form stated that He was eating Fromms. We've always fed Iams. He's adapted well, and seems to be eating well.

Our Bradley was 10-12 lbs (he always gained a lb or 2 over the winter mo's) While Andy is quite a bit smaller. 6-7 lbs is my guess.

One funny quirk that Andy has shown is that He's latched on to Me. Follows Me around the house, prefers My lap. While Bradley was that way with My Wife. ( I don't think it bothers Geri, hard to tell) It's almost obsessive. I can't sit down without Him on My lap. Not that I mind!

I cannot for the life of me, get him to play with a toy? Not a big deal, but odd?

I know Andy has had a pretty traumatic month, or so. So we're cutting him some slack. He's very intelligent, and I thinks we can make progress on all fronts.

Well instead of typing a novel, I'll end here. With Our newest member of the family, I'm sure I'll be frequenting the site.

Thanks to all that contribute here. I've learned a lot, and will keep searching old threads to keep learning.

Nice to meet You all, Rob & Andy

zedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!