View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

You could try rewarding your pup with a treat when he does a potty outside... that way, when he has to go, he will want you to see it so he can get his treat, so he may start to let you know in advance.

PS: Yorkies have been known to learn to ring bells to go potty, then take it one step further and will ring the bells to go out to play, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMiller View Post
I just joined Yorkie Talk too, but I have learned from pup, that sometimes it works to tie a bell to the "potty exit," and train them to ring the bell when they need to go. Right before you take the puppy out to potty say "potty," and ring the bell, then see if your puppy will ring it. Eventually, your puppy will hopefully ring the bell when he needs to go out. I also leave newspaper by that door in case we can't get out in time. Even when I am gone, he goes on that newspaper 80% of the time and I leave him out with my other dog all day ( of course you must be cautious with this until you know how your pup will react!). Good luck! This may not work, but it did for me, and it took about 1 month to get my pup fairly housebroken.

Best wishes!

Hi and Welcome to YT.

I hope I'm reading this wrong... you are not leaving your Yorkie outside all day with your other dog while you are gone? Yorkies are frequently stolen from yards and can be attacked by large birds of prey or other animals. I never leave mine outside unsupervised. Hope I misunderstood this post!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!