View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
Welcome to YT, fellow Alaskan

Here's my .02, and it's just an opinion. I'm no expert.

A lot of people say Yorkies and kids don't mix. Some breeders won't even sell to a family with young kids, their reasoning being Yorkies are delicate and kids don't understand that. I know of Yorkies who have broken legs, or worse, when falling from heights or being stepped on. And yes, they are more delicate than a JRT.

That said, I know many families who have kids and Yorkies and get by just fine. The parents teach the kids how to interact with them and how to be gentle.

So that brings us to the daycare. If it were me, I would never allow a Yorkie to interact with a group of daycare kids unless someone was designated to supervise the Yorkie -- and not the person designated to supervise the kids. An emergency with the kids could leave the Yorkie unsupervised, and it's not worth the risk.

If you do have that level of supervision, then I personally would introduce the Yorkie to them right away. Do it one at a time and watch the Yorkie closely to make sure it's not overly agitated. With proper supervision, it could be a great socialization exercise.

my .02,
sounds like you've had experience with kids and small animals. Just remember that yorkies (or little dogs) tire easily so meeting and greeting kids may get tiresome for the pup. A lot of activity for the pup may tucker him out very quickly. I would for sure have a very quiet place for him to be, away from loud noises, not too, too quiet but somewhere where he feels safe and secure.

Good luck!
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!