Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #102
CouversMom
and Khloe Mae's too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Michelle!
Thank you so much for asking.

Cassie is doing really great. While she still sleeps a lot and we are starting to see her age affecting her muscle tone she is still a fairly happy camper.

She sometimes gets lost in the back yard but she sniffs around until she finds a trail (I think) and starts trotting toward the door. She slows down when she hits the patio. We carry her down three steps and have started encouraging her to step down one step at the back door. She does it almost every time without pause. She still begs empty chairs for tidbits but she hasn't mistaken the stove for me lately. She can tell when there is a bright light on and knows to walk toward it. Like when she needs to go up those three stairs leading into the house from the garage.
We have a new game to replace fetch. I stomp on the floor two or three times and she barks however many times I stomp. Then she waits for me to stomp again. If I don't she will bark once as if she is say "well, what are you waiting for?" LOL

She has grown to trust Adie to be her eyes and ears and Adie is an excellent little guide dog for her. She is also protecting her from the others. Gracie decided she was going to bully Cassie around one day and Adie came running. She slammed into her and just stood there between the two. No biting - no fighting just a stance that said it all. Gracie walked away LOL.

Cassie has been the Alpha for many years and I know Gracie is thinking she's going to take that spot. I kinda doubt she will get it though with Adie around. I don't think Adie wants it but she won't put up with Gracie having it either. And yes I know - I'm supposed to be the alpha and I am but among the dogs there is a pecking order.

So aren't you glad to read this book or are you sorry you asked? LOL.
I'm SO glad you updated! It sounds like Cassie is doing absolutely great Its good that she has Adie there to guide her.

I have a deep love for shih-tzus that was created in my childhood with Maggie and Peanut (now both senior shih-tzus that live with my parents). They are the dogs that really began my fascination with small dogs that ended in the adoption of my two yorkies I cannot explain the bond that I had with Maggie as a child and I even took her to college with me when I moved away. Unfortunately, she does better with my parents less on-the-go lifestyles, so she stays with them now. She still perks up when I visit because I'm her momma.

Thanks for updating me on Cassie... It's great to hear that she's doing so well and that you made the right decision
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!