View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
PattiNumber_H
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Awh know this one well. Don't let him have the treat if he nips. Say gentle, In fact say gentle before you treat him. Use a closed fist within which the treat is held. Gently command, if nip, no open of fist for treat and say NO bite!. Re offer treat Do over and over and over again until he takes treat gently. Then give him two treats! and a big Good Boy!!!!

But with what you have described is a_ he obeys come over and brush command, then you brush him, and you go to reward him, and he nips. And no if he has come when called for brushing, you do the brushing, and then the treat, he will not link back a discipline for no nip when you treat him.
Yes, you are right, I need to treat for coming to the brush and re-reward for the brushing. I have only given the treat after the brushing, that's when he nips and the treat falls then I feel almost obligated to allow him to have it because of the "good brush" training command I've said.

Thank you, the next command he learns will be "gentle", "no bite". This seems like an essential command for a biter. I taught our lab the "slowly" command for taking his treats, not because he ever nipped but just the slobber he would get all over our hands.

Thanks again
PattiNumber_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!