View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
PattiNumber_H
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Yes that is one technique. He nips/nibbles on finger and you push finger in the mouth. The dog should gag if not the technique is not quite as effective. Be careful though our Yorkies mouths are so small.

Going after another spot is not unusual, not desirable, but not unusual. I think for him as his pattern is going after another spot; then remove him from your company; pick him up and put him in his crate or xpen, with a firm No, No bite. Let him stay for 5 minutes or so; then if he is not crying to get out, open door and let him out, with only a mild good boy, out you come.

The other thing you might try is to hand feed him his meals. Kibble by kibble. He must take the kibble gently, or no kibble. You can ask him to sit and reward him. Ask him to come and reward him; Etc.

Also umblical leashing is a good tool as well. You harness your dog up and put leash on harness and wrap the lead around your waist. Where you go, your dog goes. I've used this too for my hard boy,and it helped a lot. Just don't overdo it. Maybe a month no more of this umbilical training; coupled with hand feeding his meals; and I'd hope you will see a big difference.

I do hand feed his kibble treats to him, and he does good until he's rough-housed with his toys, soon after he becomes nippy at everything, even when trying to take him out of the crate Then, I say "That's a NO", but I haven't just walked away. I will. I will say "no" and wait 5 minutes before I try again. Should he have a separate time out area, apart from the sleep crate?

He has learned 3 commands, sit, come, brush. He is smart and capable, it's just the part where he has gotten aggressive with toys, then for example, I'll hold the brush and say "brush" he'll come over and let me brush him but then I go to put the treat in his mouth and he nips? I suppose once he nips, say "no" put him back, but then the "brush, sit, or come" command is lost in the confusion It is almost like he needs a reset button before I ever attempt to train/reward him.
PattiNumber_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!