View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
PattiNumber_H
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn0405 View Post
Like children, all Yorkie personalities are different. You can have a cuddle bug or have one that's Mr. Independant. It all depends.
However, with trinaing a Yorkie, the general consensus that ususally work is positive reinforcement. Although your methods may work, it's focusing what he does good and making a huge deal out of it.

I.E. when he goes out to go potty, treats, treats, and more treats, and cheer until you cannot cheer anymore. Also using a postice tone with him instead of always yelling may help as well. This pup may just be reacting to the tone in your voice. He may seem aggressive but deep down is really terrified.

You got this pup really young and this is the fall out from it. You're going to have no be more scheduled. Not drill sergant but more task oriented. Everything needs to be consistant. You need to train yourself as well as him.

Welcome to the world of toy breed dog ownership.
Thank you, yes I think about the stern voice I use, and he may become fearful therefore aggressive. I have been using a lot of treats, learn to earn, and probably not enough celebratory praise. As far as everything being a consistent, that is our priority, routine, routine, routine. Can I ask you, he seems to become fearful and nippy when I put a collar on him when he is down, but not at all while being held? And while playing aggressively with a toy if I try to get the toy or settle him down, he turns on me, then gets scared? Is this toy breed, self-defense? It is bizarre, I've trained a few other breeds and this is a first.
PattiNumber_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!