View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Taryn0405
Owned by a Gremlin
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiNumber_H View Post
This should probably be under training/behavior forum, but I thought it would get more attention here:

(Sorry it's so lengthy)

My 11 week old yorkie, Bubba, has definitely been a reality check for my husband and me. Bubba was in a pen with his brother, completely lined with newspaper, beds to the left, feeding bowl in the center before we got him. Trying to ween him from the newspaper pen, to a newspaper crate was a JOKE. The last 48 hours he has just been in a crate, and the pen is now a potty area "OUTSIDE". No accidents since eliminating all newspaper...there is hope.

Also, Bubba's teeth came in before his brother's came in (total bully), and they were separated from their mom at 8 weeks (she was ill), so he had developed the worst manners imaginable... I cannot begin to describe the lack of bite restraint, he made us BLEED several times Just playing with toys, he becomes aggressive, growling, shaking, tearing the object. Correcting that, reinforcing good play manners with treats, has helped.

The reality is that I currently don't have a cuddly puppy, I have an ill mannered little %$#@, GRRRRRR. Our current status is that of drill sergeant and recruit... I am confident that, although I won't have it as soon as I expected, I will have a non-aggressive, obedient little buddy.

My husband and I have debated whether, as he says, the breed's temperament is not that of a training/working breed, they are lap dogs and for generations haven't been bred to learn. I argue, that Bubba is a product of his environment, how critical it is for the puppies to remain with their mothers, so much is taught to them while in the litter with mom. I have hope, and Bubba has shown progress, albeit slow, but is progressing. Hubby is on board and is my co-sergeant. My 12 year old is so sad that we "talk to the puppy like we're mad", but we are just being direct, establishing the dominant role.

With Bubba this way, his time with Charlie, our lab is very limited. Charlie is so curious, but bless his heart, so patient and understanding. Charlie has never been aggressive to another dog, I don't know if spending more time with Charlie would be beneficial to Bubba?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any input and clarification as far as the breed temperament and our approach. I value all the ones who have been there, done that and now have great balanced pack at home. Thanks everyone.

Like children, all Yorkie personalities are different. You can have a cuddle bug or have one that's Mr. Independant. It all depends.
However, with trinaing a Yorkie, the general consensus that ususally work is positive reinforcement. Although your methods may work, it's focusing what he does good and making a huge deal out of it.

I.E. when he goes out to go potty, treats, treats, and more treats, and cheer until you cannot cheer anymore. Also using a postice tone with him instead of always yelling may help as well. This pup may just be reacting to the tone in your voice. He may seem aggressive but deep down is really terrified.

You got this pup really young and this is the fall out from it. You're going to have no be more scheduled. Not drill sergant but more task oriented. Everything needs to be consistant. You need to train yourself as well as him.

Welcome to the world of toy breed dog ownership.
Taryn0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!