View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Jennyms319
Senior Yorkie Talker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by withchoco View Post
Hello,

We just adopted a 16-week old boy, Choco, last week, and he's a little gem.
Although I grew up with small breed dogs, this is the first time having a male dog, and I have few questions.

1. He is 16 weeks old and weighs around 2lbs. He squats when he pees, and I am wondering when male Yorkies typically start spraying or peeing with a leg up. I have heard that many people wait to neuter/spay their Yorkies until reaching 6 months so that the milk teeth can be removed at the same time, if needed. For my male cats, I got them neutered before they started spraying, so that they don't get into a bad habit.

2. I am currently on vacation for about a month, and once the break is over, I will be away for about 4-5 hrs per day. I'm spending most of the time with Choco, and I am a bit concerned that he may get separation anxiety if I have to leave him alone after spending most of the time with him for a month. Any advice on how I should get him adjusted?

3. Do you let your Yorkies sleep in your bed? I have heard that dogs get confused about hierarchy when you let them sleep in the same bed with you. Currently, Choco sleeps in his crate at night, since he's still being potty-trained. He whine for 2-3 sec when I put him in his playpen, but shortly goes off to his bed without much begging. Would it be best to let him sleep in his crate?

Thank you in advance and happy holidays!

PS - I tried to upload some of his photos, but they exceeded the size limit. I will do so after adjusting the size.

Just wanted to say welcome. I don't have my puppy yet so I don't have any tips for you but you will find a lot of useful info on this site. I'm trying to prepare early. Can't wait to see pic of your baby!!!
Jennyms319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!