View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
sophias mommy
YT 3000 Club Member

Animal Smiley 019 Chronic Diarrhea

My poor baby Sophia started having diarrhea over a month ago. After a couple of persistent days, we took her to the vet. The vet gave her antibiotics (Metronidazole 2x a day for 10 days). A couple days after we finished the antibiotics, the diarrhea came back. I called the vet and she said try another dose (Metronidazole 2x a day for 10 days). A couple days after that, the diarrhea came back again. So she ran some blood tests, and everything came out normal. She said she'll give another round of antibiotics and it might be a food allergy so I switched her from Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison to Blue buffalo basics potato and turkey. I already noticed a difference, before Sophia would have to be hand fed her food (maybe because it upset her stomach?) , now she eats like a normal dog! The antibiotics ran out on wednesday, and once again the diarrhea is back. But this time, the diarrhea is only 3-4 times a day instead of the 10+ times each day like before. I called the vet and she wants to give ANOTHER round of antibiotics... but i'm thinking its still just a food allergy. Is it even safe to have this many rounds of metronidazole? I called back the vet to express my concerns and i'm just waiting for a call back. I'm not sure if Sophia is just not used to the new food yet (she's been on it for about 12 days). I just want poor Sophia to feel better! Let me know if you have any suggestions.
sophias mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!