View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I have read that too and I don't understand the argument behind the warning. Filtered water, which most people drink, also has most minerals removed. Distilled water has been around for centuries and has long been considered a life-saver in areas where safe drinking water is hard to come by.

I would think that the minerals that we and our dogs get from food would be sufficient for our needs.
Filtered water doesn't have minerals removed; you have to distill water to remove minerals. Filtered water usually just removes chemicals, depending on the type of filter you use, it removes chlorine and fluoride among other things. Many people say distilled water works pretty good with puppies, who are teething, but long term use of distilled water may have the dog lacking in certain minerals. We used a distilled water for Joey when he was a puppy, and we used the Gerber baby safe water, which can be purchased for $1.00 a gallon, by the way, purified water and distilled water are the same, all minerals are removed. The reason we use baby safe water, is some distilled water isn’t safe for drinking, it’s for use for steam irons. The distilled baby water did elliminate Joey’s tearing and about once a month I would try regular filtered tap water and at about 11 months of age was able to make the switch to regular filtered tap and he had no tearing.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 12-18-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!