View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Dame
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I am feeding Ideal Balance to my pups with no issues; and have been since Hill's pulled Nature's Best. I was previously feeding Castor & Pollux and while perhaps I may never have had an issue I became uncomfortable when I opened a bag one day and the wrong food was in there. I called them and the woman insisted that they had changed the size of the kibble and said that was the problem. I told her that there was more to it than the size...she just kept saying it had changed and I believed her. That was when they changed their packaging and she said that they changed both packaging and size of kibble...SO when I got the new packaging I expected it to look the same and it did not. I knew then that the wrong food had definitely been put in there. It was the lower calorie food I am think...as I had fed that to a couple in the past. This made me very uneasy, so I wrote to them and asked questions about the team of experts" they refer to on their website...never got a response. Remembering how many people lost pups during those awful recalls I started to think what IF one day I woke up and had emails about a new recall. "While this company could be good...how would I know that if they cannot answer questions? So...I spoke with my vet about a good food that would fit most of my pups; needs and she suggested I contact the vet nutritionist at A&M. I did that and he did not advise me on a particular food but encouraged me to look at companies that do the feeding trials. So....that was my first measurement in looking for a food...second was the ingredients. Sadly that was Natures Best and that was short lived since they pulled it. They are on Ideal Balance and are doing fine. I simply feel it is the safest option for them...and I do believe it is a healthy option as well.
Personally, the recalls are a big reason why I would never feed SD long term. Granted most of the SD was removed off the shelf voluntarily - and only 9 were ever listed on the FDA website - even just one is way too many for me. I don't think SD's ideal balance's food is unsound, the company itself and the way they have functioned in the past just leave me uncertain about them ethicly.

I am happy to hear your dogs are doing great on science diet - in the long run that is all that really matters you know? Mine just happened to visibly decline on my free bag...
Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!