View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Dame
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
It will be interesting to see how long this sticks around. Like with Nature's Best, something must not have been working/selling because they evidently pulled it. I'm going to guess the people that are set on grain free are usually afraid of SD. LOL. Looks like an okay food though if you like grain free.

It's so high in carbs because it has to be.
You have your fat % at 15 (some of us wouldn't think of going too much higher than that, esp. with Yorkies - and because it's for all breeds, that looks like a typical fat content).
Then you have your vitamins/minerals at 5-10% tops.
That's only 20%-25%.
Then you have the protein. This is where they may be able to change it up some and probably the major reason Acana has a lower carb %. 24% isn't really low though. And then the rest has to be carbs because there is nothing else.

I wonder how long this will stick around too. I got a chance to try this food because I am an agent for bzzagent.com (not plugging I just want to be upfront that I only tried this product because of the program!) It seemed really odd to be able to talk to some of my local friends about a science diet food that I could from a technical aspect consider feeding to my dogs.

I think the big difference (at least marketing wise) between this and nature's variety Ellie May is that they have REALLY stressed about how this dog food is supposed to be all about balance. When they explain a product to us we tend to get whoa marketing - and it was all about how balanced the food was, about how it used real chicken, real ingredients. It seemed like a different strategy then the one they went with when they rolled out nature's variety. I think they are trying to get back in and compete with the more holistic foods while still appealing to the average SD buyer. When they rolled out nature's variety to me they really tried marketing to the person who already feeds a more holistic, high quality dog food - and I think most of us who already do that are not likely to consider SD that way. Marketing wise I think they are hoping this will last by getting enticing the normal SD user to buy a higher quality food (keep them a customer) and hopefully entice other customers away from other brands because sadly they still are what so many vets recommend over and over and over again.

I am happy to see such a well known brand (whose food so often has corn in the first or first 3 ingredients) to finally have a line again that is at least worth feeding. One of these days I hope that become the norm.
Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!