View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I've dealt with all this recently....

I DID help change my Grandma's mind but not my uncles. My grandma's Lab died and a week later she called me to tell me how she couldn't stand it anymore and was picking up a Boxer puppy that weekend "from a breeder in PA - and she has ALL kinds of different dogs, Poodles, Boxers, etc!!" . She researched the breed for all of one night and decided on it. And a WHITE Boxer at that. They are more prone to health problems. I LOVE Boxers-- but I tried to remind my grandma how muck work puppies are, they are chewers, esp. Boxers as pups, potential health problems, and all that... it did not seem to kick in. I tried to act excited for her, but also fill in her at the same time, w/o sounding snobby or whatever. Well... apparently like 4 other people told her about their health problems and she decided against it! She ended up going to the SPCA and adopting a 1 year old mellow Foxhound mix that is perfect for them!!

My uncle, who is a great guy, but does a ton of traveling, is single so out a lot, etc, decides on a German Shepherd. Again I LOVE Shepherds and grew up with one, want another someday, but I gently told him how much work Shepherds are, they need a lot of training and work and socialization, etc, You need to go to a GOOD breeder especially for a breed such as a GSD. "Well I need cheap!" so he went to an Amish farm and picked up a female pup, the first place he went to .... I don't think it was a smart decision but with some, you just can't change their minds.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!