View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Exclamation HELP, preventing mom from buying from a back yard breeder.....

UGH (sorry for the rant that is to follow)

So I'm sooo frustrated. I love my mom, but when she decides something there is no holding back, I'm glad I don't live at home any longer. So she just calls me and says, "Jane Doe has a beagle who just had puppies, do I want a boy or a girl?" (name change of friend)

I tried to give her the, there is a lot more you need to know, speach, but she kept interupting me.

So I know the background story and it wreaks back yard breeder:
Jane bought a beagle from her sister a supposed reputatble beagle breeder in the US, they shipped her the pup to Canada, and then a month or so later Jane sent the dog back because it had "issues" which no one will tell me what they are. So the sister sends her a new dog, which oops happens to be pregnant .

So now Jane is moving back to the US, and is selling the puppies, she has offered one to my mom for free. And mom seems to think this free puppy will be wonderful!

I managed to give her a few pieces of information, cause I know her, she wont listen to me, and I pray to god for the sake of my mom and step dad that they change thier minds. I told her to ask about the mom's mom's registration (Jane's dog isn't registered, but the mom has papers) I explained what AKC and CKC (Continential?) stand for, and explained that AKC was the same as Harley's Canadian Kennel Club registration. I also asked for the kennel name of Jane's sister, I want to research it.

I also begged her to leave the pup there until 12 weeks. But I'm not winning that battle. She seems to think that a puppy can get vet checked just like a horse (we're horse people, she's never had a dog of her own) and the vet can say that it''s a sound dog and that it will be healthy forever... which is not true..... She wouldn't listen to me about bite inhibition or anything. I got Harley at 9 weeks and it was a huge test to my training abilities.

Then I told her she needed to consider insurance and food and neutering etc, but she threw in my face that my purebred dog has been really sick so whats the difference from any other dog, rescue, back yard breeder, or whatever.

I don't know what I'm looking for now, support, advice, things to ask so that I at least know what my mom is getting into.... I just need friends who understand. She is being exactly one of those people we try to warn on here, more concerned about boys or girls rather than doing whats right for the family or the dog. Does anyone know anything about beagles that could help me... if she gets this dog, she's definitely going need training help.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!