View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Esophageal obstruction.
If you are with pup and they aren't really getting anything off, then it is very minimal risk. Even being in the same room though, I found that not to be enough for Ellie. She had gotten a large piece off of rawhide and swallowed it even though I was right there trying to get it from her. It sticks in their mouth quite well. And that soggy/stickiness probably isn't favorable to the esophagus or perhaps even the trachea.

The only thing allowed here is Nylabone under supervision.
Yes, I wouldn't allow him to chew it without me holding it, he's a little too enthusiastic, and I believe he would bite off more than he could swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Bacteria collecting on the chewed ends. They seem to last longer than bully sticks, so they sit around longer.

Also most rawhides come from China don't they? That alone would make me not give them. I've had a hard time before looking for bullys not from China.
I buy a really skinny kind, and throw it away after each use, you could cut off the ends or nuke them if you were worried about bacteria, and wanted to use them more than once. Target sells some from Mexico and some from China. I don't know if the ones from Mexico are any safer.

Join today and remove this ad!