View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
pandaleigh
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I have a couple of suggestions too , based upon my experiences with my Yorkie and my best friend's German Shepherd (GSD) .. we train them together ^_^

Her GSD would also bark at, and want to play with, the can-o-coins. The only thing that works for him as far as corrective noises is an air canister. You can buy them at petco but not at petsmart. It's called a compressed air training spray. Basically you push the button at the top and it makes this loud "KSSSSH" noise. We used that to teach him not to jump up on people and not to get too rough with Tashi. If he started getting rough with her, we'd "KSSSH" him and take her away until he calmed it down.

Only use a corrective noise for the really bad stuff. I find that a simple "EH EH EH" works well. It's a distraction, not necessarily a scolding. Get the dog's attention and put it to where you want it.

Instead of a playpen, you can use:
-An X-Pen, here's an example: Amazon.com: Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24...Amazon.com: Midwest Black E-Coat Exercise Pen, 24... -A wire crate. (Example only.. look around on YT for a good low cost option if you want, I know I've seen several listedAmazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Double-Door...Amazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Double-Door...
Never scold the puppy for "thinking" about peeing :P If you see her considering peeing, kindly take her outside, wait till she goes, and then tell her what a good baby she is.

As for wearing her clothes, for the first several months I had Tashi, if I put clothes on her, It meant she was going bye-bye with me. Now, if she wants to go for a walk, out to dinner, or for a car ride.. she goes as far as to bring -me- her clothes and insist I put them on. I think it's cute, so usually I'll acknowledge that she gave them to me, and put them on a few minutes later and take her for a ride. (Not right away, because you have to keep that upper hand )

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the best advice I have for you is to begin simple obedience training. Simple things, in short little bursts of training.

Don't feed her treats for no reason ever. Make her work for it [ Don't have to make her sit, stay, down just yet. You can start with simple "watch me" you hold the treat to your eye and see how long she can keep eye contact.. start with 3 seconds, move up to 15-20.. and then up from there if you want.. this way, you can avert her attention on command] Never try obedience training when you're low on patience with her. It should be fun little sessions for you and your dog that you both really enjoy. For the first year of having Tashi, all she had to do to get a treat was be nearby.. so she's working really hard on learning that treats are now a reward, and not her born right

Also, find a toy that your dog likes, and make sure you not only take her for walks once a day for exercise, but you play fetch.. or "run with me" Tashi likes "run with me" more than fetch.. but sometimes i just don't feel like running in circles around my own back yard

Keep her busy, entertained, and not bored.

If you're putting her in the kennel/playpen, give her somethign to do. Small kongs with mashed yams or peanut butter (you put a tiny bit in and squish it, so the insides are coated, but not filled, then you freeze it) keep their little tongues busy for a while. You can also soak a rope toy in chicken stock and freeze it, that provides an activity for your baby too.

If you're busy and you want the baby to go lay down in her kennel, give her something to keep her occupied for a little while... it's hard for a dog to go from "on" to "asleep" without a little wind down. I know if I was having a nice day and someone stuck me alone in a playpen I'd get right to destroying it :P

Keep your dog's body and mind exercised, she's got these new sharp teethies and she wants to test them out on everything

Last edited by pandaleigh; 12-13-2011 at 11:28 AM.
pandaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!