View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #12
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbysmom
How do you register the parti, tri or chocolate color? It isn't a color choice on the form I have for Shelby. (been slow to send it in) the choices are black & tan, blue & gold, blue & tan, and black &gold.

How does someone register an off colored dog? I hear they do it but how?
One of the reasons Princess Chai's breeder registers her parti-colors with APRI instead of AKC is because AKC registered them as a traditional color until just recently so it was hard to track the pedigrees and actual colors of these special dogs. With APRI they have always put the correct colors in the record so the pedigrees are accurate. I know that AKC allows you to put the correct color now but I have not seen the form that is used or how they do it.

There is no evidence that parti-colored or chocolate yorkies have any more health issues than traditional colored yorkies...purists simply do not like them because they are not within the standard. Breeders used to use the health issue excuse as a reason to kill these beautiful babies at birth so they wouldn't "ruin" the breed. It is simply a matter of esthetics and not a reason to kill a perfectly sweet and healthy puppy imo, despite the "breed standard".

The fact is that the yorkie was developed from combining terriers of different colors and (some believe) the maltese, which means that those recesssive genes for all of those colors are there in the genes of some breeding yorkies and they pop up occasionally. This is how the Biewer Yorkie was developed. Mr. Biewer decided these dogs were beautiful and worth saving so instead of killing them he started breeding "for" them and now we have the tri-colored Biewers.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!