View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
GreenwoodBiewer
YT Addict

I agree with the above comments.. the age of your children should be considered as much as the age of the dog. I don't place my puppies into homes with children younger than 6 years old as I believe children younger than that age are (as a whole) to young to be around dogs so small.. the tempermant and size of a different breed of dogs is much more conducive to young, growing, energetic children. (in my opinion)

Young children and small pets both need supervision.. adding the two together you are looking at constant supervision..short of that, you have the potential for "issues" such as biting, which will happen no matter what breed or age you bring a puppy into your home, without the proper training of both dog and child.

The smaller the puppy, of course, the more cause for worry and concern. Smaller bones, more touchy tummies, just a whole lot different than raising the Goldens and Aussies we raised when our kids were growing up. I know for a fact, these yorkies never would have survived our three boys!!

If you decide that you need to bring a yorkie into your home.. for sure go to a breeder in your area.. it is very important to see how the puppy was raised, how he lived.. how he was cared for. Meet the siblings if possible, wait until you find a breeder that you feel comfortable with, that will be there when you have questions..someone that will answer the phone when you call... this is a 12 -15 year committment.. it is worth making the correct decision up front. It can be a costly mistake.

-Diana
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!