View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
sugarpig
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I just recently returned from UT. My 6 year, Gigi, had liver shunt surgery on December 1st and is now in recovery mode

The decision to go to UT was an easy one but like you there was SO much information out there concerning liver shunts from diagnosis, treatment, surgery, diet, medicines, and supplements, etc. I could go on and on.... With all of this information, I focused on confirming the liver shunt diagnosis and whether or not Gigi was a good candidate given her age (6 years). Most statistics available is heavily weighted and favorable to diagnosis and treatment within the first two years of a puppies life. Gigi was asymptomatic in her liver shunt symptoms (no HE, drowling, falling over etc) but she did have 2 UTIs within a 6 month period. There were bilirubin crystals in her urine and a slight ammonia smell to her urine. Her CBC bloodwork was within normal limits, as well as Protein C, but BAT were not (normal for pre and out of reference range for post 135). Her internist initially thought she had MVD but later diagnosed as a "possible" liver shunt via ultrasound.

I utilized a wide variety of resources to gather information (this website, Yahoo groups for liver shunt and MVD, and research on livers shunts in dogs) led me to UT. I wanted to give Gigi the best shot. UT has performed a gazillion surgeries with a high success rate. I even called UT and spoke to a resident prior to going to ask further questions. I felt she would be in the very best place to treat her should they encounter any complications. On the day of Gigi's surgery, they performed 5 liver liver shunt surgeries alone with varying degrees of difficulty. All pups made it through They have a phenomenal ICU!

For me, the benefits outweighed the risks of surgery to correct the liver shunt. Dr. Hodshon (the resident who performed the surgery) and Dr. Tobias were both very caring, supportive and understanding.

Please feel free to send me a PM should you want more specifics. Believe me, I can relate to what you are going through. Evaluate all of your information, weigh the pros and cons, and we'll be here to support you!

Erica
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!