View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalove View Post
As some of you know I am just learning about the yorkshire terrier breed with your help. Can anyone tell me what is a liver shunt? I don't mean to sound dumb. Is there anyway to detect if a puppy has this? Is it inherited and will a breeder know? I have been hearing about this but I don't really understand what is a liver shunt and how this affects a puppy/dog.
When a pup is digesting food, its byproducts (in the blood) normally go from the small intestinal to the liver via the portal vein. When this pathway is not fully functional, the blood misses the liver, is not detoxified, and this blood then goes into general circulation. The toxins from the food build up and cause neurological symptoms (hepatic encephalopathy). Some foods and drugs are worse than others.

Breeding lines should really be clear for at least ten generations. All breeding stock should have bile acids test to make sure their livers are functioning properly. However, even with every precaution taken, it can still happen, esp. in Yorkies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!