View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

The main thing right now is that your girl gets help. It has been a long time and with constant bladder and kidney issues she may be in quite a bit of pain. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified LS surgeons in FL (have you contacted U of FL?). If going somewhere locally is what you are able to do right now, then that is absolutely what you should do. If you only want the vet best LS surgeons touching her, then I would suggest going to UT, but not at the expense of putting this surgery off. They do this surgery all day. They also seem to have a lowered post op seizure rate than most or all other places (I'm thinking one of the other vet schools has even said if you want the best, go to UT). If this was my pup, I can tell you I'd go to UT. They tend to be cheaper than a lot of other places. So even with travel expenses, you are paying the same or a bit less. This may have changed recently though.

You don't need the bile acids test to diagnose a shunt if it has been seen on u/s. However, as the surgeon said, they will want pre and post surgery readings.

I hope your pup is on a special diet and supplements while awaiting her surgery...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!