Thread: What if . . ?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
impish
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I don't think you are one of the few. I think there a lot of people who agree with the OP and a lot of people are someplace inbetween what might be deemed as more judgemental or direct posters.

I get why some people are strong in their posts. I also agree that I think a softer touch - and no a softer touch does NOT have to equal a stupid response or ignoring the question and pretending it's not serious - could garner a lot better result. T. Ford does it very well. Many of the people on here do.

That's my opinion. And nobody has to agree with it. Disagree with it all you want. Tell my why or don't.

What I don't think is right however is telling me I shouldn't say I disagree with something.

And I also don't think people need to call people names when they do. Whether it be calling someone a "bully" or "polite police." You can. But again, it's not necessary and what does it really get you?

And last in regard to the OP's post - What's wrong with posing to a community that we think differently? Maybe we start thinking differently - or maybe we don't and we reaffirm why we do what we do, but how can her post be a bad thing?

I appreciate most of the posters at YT very much and even the ones without a "soft" touch. I hope however there's room for the "softer" responders too?

Okay I've said more than my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katirob View Post
I guess I'm one of the few that agrees with the OP. It would seem we could educate, exhort, warn, even use a strong tone when we see some of the questions and issues that often come up, without being rude. I've never been the recipient of anything harsh, but I've sure seen it and I often get a negative vibe. Often when one respondent comes down hard on a questioner, others pile on rather than adding anything useful. There's an old saying that you can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar and I think it holds true here. Most people stop listening when they feel they're getting yelled at.

I agree that often you just want to wring the person's neck who's asking the question but what good does that do? It's clear that a lot of people don't know what they're getting into when they got a yorkie, don't have the money needed to properly care for them, etc., but by the time they come here they've already gotten the dog so we want them to learn, don't we?

I'm a relative newbie (5 months) and have learned a lot here and enjoyed stories, and pictures, but you can be sure I'll never ask a hard question. Fortunately I have a great breeder and great vet to go to, thank goodness. This can be an intimidating place.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!