View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
YorkieShadow
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRose
Debbie..your post about swallowing a puppy whole, reminded me of something.
I went to help a friend whelp a litter. We were in her living room sitting on the floor while the mother whelped, one of her kids let another adult female in the room. My friend said the female was no threat. The next pup was extremely tiny, when it was born, it came out with the long cord and placenta attached in one piece..suddenly the "no threat" female picked it up and swallowed it..honestly, this sounds so unbelievable, but I opened her mouth an only saw a blob of afterbirth..so I pulled it out, along came the cord and the pup attached to the end of it..she didn't chew it, only swallowed it whole..I think she thought it was food..
Your so right she did think it was food. my neighbor at the time had this mother dog and its litter .The mother dog had hid the puppies deep in a hole in the yard under a shed. I was going to help her get the puppies out. when the big dog came running and stuck its head in the hole grabbing one of the babys still wet from just being born and it swallowed it. I called the local vet and he told me that the smell of it all is what the dog wanted it was food to him. All I could think was that poor baby and that poor poor Mommy dog who watched this happen to her baby.
YorkieShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!