View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
betterthanlife
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonk1 View Post
Sorry this is long, but I want honest opinions, and there are a lot of factors to consider.

So I've been having ALOT of jaw problems, just had an unsuccessful surgery (I'm in Canada btw so some health care is free). I just had a consult with a second orthodontist who gave me a 2 hour consult. It was free, but he explained exactly how he could fix all of my problems. I've been having terrible headaches, and I can only open my mouth about half way from the normal range. I see a massage therapist twice a month but that only masks the problem. So he wants 18 months in braces and a major surgery. The surgery is covered and free. The braces will be $7800, $7400 if I pay upfront.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself. Also a side note, I worked my way through my university, paid cash for the whole 5 years. I don't have much debt, just credit cards and a very small personal line of credit, but not a penny to my name.

Also my dad's insurance doesn't cover braces, even if it's all medical related

So I'm brainstorming how I can pay for this, without sinking myself into crazy debt. My philosophy is, almost all of my friends have $40,000 loans to pay back, so if I take this little extra debt I'm not worse off than them am I? Ok so what if I take a student loan for law school (hopefully september), I'll still only have a little debt compared to my friends who are 2 degrees in, with a loan for both.

Options:
well if I pay $1500 up front at the dentist, I get $370 monthly payments for an 18 month term can't really afford that, plus don't have $1500

try and extend an extra $5000 for my line of credit and make a larger upfront payment and take minimal payments with the dentist, only thing is then my line of credit monthly payments would rise too.

take out a loan, but I'm employed by contracts right now and I don't have a co-signer, so I don't think I could get one of those.

pay on credit card which I know I need to avoid at all cost, cause I'm pushed to my limit with the credit card. Seeing that takes a hit with Harley's medical problems when my insurance for him doesn't cover it, I'd be in great shape if he hadn't been sick for four months.

Ask the BF for a loan, I already owe him $500, he's started a stable job, so he's the breadwinner right now. I don't mind asking him for a couple hundred here or there, cause I always pay him back and we sign a contract when I do it, but that's a huge sum of money to ask for. We've been together for four years, but still...

So I'm looking for any and all input anyone wiser than me can offer. I don't wanna go into crazy debt, but my brain is only focused on fixing the pain right now. I know I'm not thinking logically.
This is not related to your money situation, but I would try to have a consult from someone that does NOT do surgery, and will NOT benefit from you having surgery - in any way. I would also not tell them anything about the other consults - doctors do not like to disagree with each other. Make sure you need this, and you are getting what you need. You already had an unsuccessful surgery. Make sure you are being given ALL of your options.
betterthanlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!