View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
yorkiemom1970
No Longer a Member

I set up an place in one of two areas...usually my bedroom. When I have a pregnant girl just like now for example, I usually have them with me in any paticular room that I am spending any amount of time in. My computer is in my bedroom and I have a fairly big bedroom so I make a quiet whelp area next to the wall beside my bed. Many a nite's sleep has been lost in the past raising up to peep over at them. It makes me feel more comfortable to have them near me at all times in the last few weeks before whelp and the first few weeks after whelp. When they get a little older, I move mom and babies into my dining room area which is basically part of my kitchen also. I set up a playpen and leave an opening for mom to come and go as she pleases. At night, I close the opening so that I do not wake up to any "hidden" babies, lol. All of my girls are different and I have one in paticular who is expecting now that has taken a huge liking to my small laundry room. So I have set up a "nest" in there just in case she decides to choose that room as it's really obvious she likes it in there. I would of course move her to the area I've set up in my bedroom though shortly after any labor starts. I keep my others away from my mommy's during labor and for about 2 weeks after they whelp. This is tough to do to because they are always so curious as to what is going on when one of them is not with the others. This is also tough to do with my 2 boys when I have a girl in heat. The seperation issue has always been tough for me and I feel bad having to do it, but it's a MUST at certain times. Luckily my two boys get along really good, so when I have to seperate them, they are always together. When I have young puppies, I don't allow the others around them until a week or so before they I start to wean. Then I let the new babies out of their playpen several times a day to socialize with some of the others. Its always really funny to watch the very first time this happens. All those puppy tails a waggin and little feet running about, with the ever so CURIOUS adults stealing all the toys in fear that these "new" one's are going to get them. I would like to add that I've only once so far had 2 females due to whelp around the same time. My bedroom then had to have 2 areas set up. That was really something. Well, that's pretty much how I do it. By the way, Great thread!
yorkiemom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!