View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Looking for advice from those wiser than me,... managing finances.

Sorry this is long, but I want honest opinions, and there are a lot of factors to consider.

So I've been having ALOT of jaw problems, just had an unsuccessful surgery (I'm in Canada btw so some health care is free). I just had a consult with a second orthodontist who gave me a 2 hour consult. It was free, but he explained exactly how he could fix all of my problems. I've been having terrible headaches, and I can only open my mouth about half way from the normal range. I see a massage therapist twice a month but that only masks the problem. So he wants 18 months in braces and a major surgery. The surgery is covered and free. The braces will be $7800, $7400 if I pay upfront.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself. Also a side note, I worked my way through my university, paid cash for the whole 5 years. I don't have much debt, just credit cards and a very small personal line of credit, but not a penny to my name.

Also my dad's insurance doesn't cover braces, even if it's all medical related

So I'm brainstorming how I can pay for this, without sinking myself into crazy debt. My philosophy is, almost all of my friends have $40,000 loans to pay back, so if I take this little extra debt I'm not worse off than them am I? Ok so what if I take a student loan for law school (hopefully september), I'll still only have a little debt compared to my friends who are 2 degrees in, with a loan for both.

Options:
well if I pay $1500 up front at the dentist, I get $370 monthly payments for an 18 month term can't really afford that, plus don't have $1500

try and extend an extra $5000 for my line of credit and make a larger upfront payment and take minimal payments with the dentist, only thing is then my line of credit monthly payments would rise too.

take out a loan, but I'm employed by contracts right now and I don't have a co-signer, so I don't think I could get one of those.

pay on credit card which I know I need to avoid at all cost, cause I'm pushed to my limit with the credit card. Seeing that takes a hit with Harley's medical problems when my insurance for him doesn't cover it, I'd be in great shape if he hadn't been sick for four months.

Ask the BF for a loan, I already owe him $500, he's started a stable job, so he's the breadwinner right now. I don't mind asking him for a couple hundred here or there, cause I always pay him back and we sign a contract when I do it, but that's a huge sum of money to ask for. We've been together for four years, but still...

So I'm looking for any and all input anyone wiser than me can offer. I don't wanna go into crazy debt, but my brain is only focused on fixing the pain right now. I know I'm not thinking logically.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!