Thread: seizures
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
The seizures you are describing sound like severe generalized or grand mal seizures. These can be dangerous in close succession. 4 seizures in a week and a half is very troublesome if you do not know the diagnosis. I disagree with your vet, and I would definitely get a second opinion. I would get somewhere today with this dog if it were mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegurl View Post
Take Jake to another vet immediately...or Monday

Any vet should automatically want to run blood-work, as about where he was what was going on, and they should talk to you about what and how to evaluate that he comes out of the seizure.

I would never go back to that vet again. I was told to wait & monitor seizures for my dog...after multiple testing, evaluations, emergency visits where vet got out of bed in the middle of the night & ensured they fully explained & I fully understood what to check for, do, how to evaluate, and when Elvis would need to be rushed in...true at first I wasn't given meds just told to monitor, but still tests were done repeatably & vet insisted I bring him in regularly & always in an emergency-I was just upset after all that I had to keep a diary & monitor feeling very helpless.

I'd be livid if I were you. Your situation could easily be due to a toxic substance having been ingested and your dog could have needed emergency treatment for it to end the seizures-seizures are a symptom of something they are not a diagnosis.

If the response was just over the phone keep track with no blood-work, no in person evaluation that vet isn't worth the paper their diploma is printed on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
There is some validity to not totally panicking over one seizure (some dogs will only have one and then never have a problem again). Obviously in this case those, 4 in just over a week - this pup needs to be seen immediately. Anyway, far as good medicine goes, basic bloodwork is indicated right after the first seizure to look at some values. Toxicity can cause a dog to seize and that is the first rule out. To not at least recommend an ER visit for bloodwork is just crazy. Large animal vets tend to be not so good at small animal medicine.
Your pup needs to be seen ASAP! I would say if he has any more seizures this weekend, an EC visit is in order. If not, then Monday for sure.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!