View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwigy58 View Post
Apparantly, Wally had "undescended" testicles and the breeder had him neutered even before he allowed him to be sold. (Around 13 weeks old I think.) I now am wondering if that is the normal protocol for breeders who have male puppies with this problem. I guess I did not question the breeder, as he made it seem that this was the best for Wally. It is amazing how we wonder about things after the fact!!
I'm no breeder, but it was my impression that most dogs testicles were undescended at this age. I don't think Joey's showed up until 6 months. If they are still undescended at 7-9 months, when you might normally neuter, I've read that you should wait and give them till about a year before you do the surgery, because they might still drop. There are some breeders who routinely neuter dogs because they don't want the dogs to be bred. I think this is probably not a good idea, but I can understand why some breeders have been forced to do this. So many buyers don’t really care where their breeder got their dogs, and if they have legitimate breeding rights or not.

Join today and remove this ad!