View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
ztkraptor
Yorkie Talker

Default Questions on feeling backbone

Hello,

I am the owner of a 3 year old maltese/Yorkshire terrier mix. Also known as a "morkie" i suppose. First and foremost I have a vet appointment on saturday(in like 3 days). Its a new vet, I have never been to this one(my old one retired) but my aunt and cousin take their pets there and like them.

I never noticed it before, but when my dog is laying down, and some other times, I can feel my dogs backbone pretty easily. Now, I tried looking/feeling her ribcage, but she has kind of thick fur, so its difficult. She seems very healthy, Constantly running around the house, jumping around, playing. We just went to lake Erie for thanksgiving, and we were active on the beach, and around the site we were at. She does eat quite a bit of human food (Due to my parents). but I do see her eat her normal dog food(which we just leave in a bowl for her to pick at, she doesn't overeat her dog food so we have found this method best).

Every now and then, I have been known to give her some very lean meat, that is only browned(not charred, just cooked) on all exterior sides to kill any exterior bacteria.(So I think) which is then raw on the inside. (I realize this can possibly carry worms?)

Her hip bones, can somewhat be felt, but its not something super prominent. I'm not concerned really about this. but I am of the backbone.
To me it seems very weird. I haven't noticed this until a week or 2 ago. I mean, It wasn't something I really was looking for, as she never acted sick or anything like this.
In fact, when I come home, she runs up to me, and jumps all over the place, and jumps all over me, and her tail wags like crazy..you know, normal dog happy.

I suppose it could be a tape worm? I never see her dragging her butt across the floor, or anything like this, and she always seems healthy.

I just hope she is ok, and everything will work out.
Thanks all for reading, don't be too harsh about how we feed her and just let her eat whenever :-p
ztkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!